The first time I visited Arizona, and really the only other time I've been there except to drive through or fly through on the way to somewhere else, I was about 11. The first place we stopped was Prescott, Arizona. I have amazingly fond memories of our very brief stay there. I don't know why, but it was just a lovely, lovely time with my parents and my sister. Being at a higher elevation, the weather was actually cool. I remember having dinner at what felt like a really fancy restaurant. They're just really warm and fuzzy memories.
Another really chipper memory I had from that trip for some reason was from visiting Jerome, Arizona. Now, there's nothing in Jerome. It's a ghost town and there are art stores. I remember buying Mrs. Grossman's stickers there. "Sticker Collections" were really BIG back home. (We never USED the stickers, we just COLLECTED the stickers. I have NO idea why.) There was nothing that stuck in my mind as amazing about Jerome, I just remember LIKING it.
In planning this trip, I couldn't see any reason to go to either Prescott or Jerome. They were rather quickly kicked off the to-do list early on in the vacation planning process.
This week, when I was looking at my bookmarks of what we should consider seeing and doing, I found the Verde Canyon Railroad, but the only way we could ride it, would be to be there Sunday morning by 11:30. As we started thinking about it and discussing it with "J@AAA", we came up with a plan to leave on Saturday, drive to Prescott, (that was actually "J@AAA"'s suggestion and she didn't even know the story.)
So now we're driving to Prescott on our first night of vacation so that on the second day of vacation we can visit the Verde Canyon Railroad, which is in Clarkdale, which is just outside of... Jerome.
9 comments:
What I remember about Prescott, Arizona is practically sleeping on top of you b/c there were crickets in the bed when we fell asleep and I was way freaked out. Although I do remember enjoying Jerome.
PerkyMommy's sister
AuntieDoc!
I SOOOOO totally don't remember that at ALL! HA HA!
Isn't it a good thing you have ohana that twist your arm to do stuff on occassion.
The crickets were in El Centro
When were we in El Centro? And WHY were we in El Centro??
Prescott had the restaurant with the dance floor and 2-man band. If you want to get along with the locals, call it PRESS-kit
OK I remember the 2 man band and fancy restaurant now, I don't remember El Centro, only the crickets
Are you gonna go to Winslow?
Yep! We're going to Meteor Crater but there's also this spot, which is one of the Pixar credited locations for Cars.
Post a Comment