Sunday, July 12, 2009

Road Trip!

It is Sunday afternoon and my children are still in their pajamas. I have had to barely lift a finger for the past 24 hours. Full service resorts are so very lovely...

Friday night was interesting. I was in bed by 12:15 or so. That is highly unusual for me on the night before vacation. I was amazed that I got "everything" together without Daddy Doc there to help out. There was a period of panic where I could not find my camera case, but I found it eventually and life moved on. I had most of the car packed when I went to bed and I just lied there in the dark for awhile thinking about it all and analyzing myself before I drifted off to sleep.

I can never quite predict if I will wake up easily or not but on Saturday morning, fortunately, I did. The kids and I got dressed, finished packing the car and we were pulling out of our driveway at about 6:10 or so. A little later than I had hoped but I was pretty darn pleased with myself!




Unfortunately, Captain Stubborn was in a most crankified mood. He cried all the way through our grocery store stop. But with ice in the ice chest, gas in the car and a Jack In the Box Supreme Croissant in my hand, we were on the freeway by 6:50. Not too bad!

Within 45 minutes, Captain Stubborn the Super Crank started asking me how much longer the trip would last. 

And the crank fest was delightful at the George Patton Museum Chevron when we made our potty stop. He cried all the way inside, through the potty stop, through me getting a diet pepsi and all the way back to the car.

At the gas stop near Tonopah, the boys commented about how hot it was. 

As we left Goodyear, CS asked if we were going to back home now.

So here's the story you need to know. On Thursday night, our hostess offered directions to her house. Directions? Oh, geez, I hadn't thought about how to get to our destination. I just figured we'd get to the 10 freeway and head east. At that time I joked that I was just going to look for the big signs on the freeway: "PerkyMommy: USE THIS EXIT", "PerkyMommy: TURN HERE." "PerkyMommy: FOLLOW THIS ARROW" "PerkyMommy: YOU ARE HERE!" That really would be appropriate, would it not? Ha ha, I am so clever.

I was so busy reading street signs that I missed the signs. Yep, Mrs. Swanie put up a sign at the street corner. 

But as we pulled up to the house, I did see the sign that said "PERKY MOMMY You are here!" and the sign in the driveway that said "PERKY MOMMY Park here!"

Just about 5 hours and 40 minutes from leaving home, I pulled into the driveway, I laughed, and I hugged Mrs. Swanie who was waiting for us in the driveway...

1 comment:

Cindy said...

OK, I'm laughing at the fact that there were ACTUAL SIGNS, but you didn't see them! And no pictures? Awwwww.