Saturday, October 24, 2009

Walt Disney World: Epcot Food & Wine Festival

What we ate:

Buenos Aires, Argentina:

Beef Empanada with Tomato Salsa - slight kick to the salsa, yummy!
Grilled Beef Skewer with Chimchurri and Bonaiato Puree - the beef was so tender!

Krakow, Poland:

Kielbasa and Potato Pierogie with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream - a little common but it tasted good.


Cape Town, South Africa:

Seared Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango Barbeque Sauce - all five of us liked it. Mr. Genius very happily finished off the sweet potato puree after we finished the meat.

Melbourne, Australia:


Grilled Lamb Chop with Red Wine Sauce and Murray River Sea Salt - there wasn't a lot of meat and there was a bit of fat on the lamb chop, but it tasted good.

Munich, Germany:

Spaetzle Gratin with Ham and Cheese - it was a bit salty but it was a very big portion.

Vienna, Austria:

Mushroom Soup with Chive Dumplings - this was very good. Very. The soup was blended and thick. The dumplings were small but not too chewy.

Hops and Barley:

New England Lobster Roll - I did not realize that Lobster Roll was code for "Lobster salad with lots of mayonnaise." It seemed like a waste of lobster. It was tasty enough, but I would rather have something that let me really taste the lobster. A couple of years ago the Disneyland Festival featured a "Lobster Lollipop" - Lobster on a stick, deep fried with a red pepper sauce. Now THAT was a yummy lobster dish!

Boston-style Crab Cake with Cabbage Slaw and Remoulade - I am not a crab fan in any form, but Mr. Genius loves crab cakes so he was very excited when I let him order this. He loved it, naturally.

Marrakesh, Morrocco:

Beef Kefta Pita Pocket - I do not remember how this tasted in particular but I do remember it was tasty.

Cork, Ireland

Cheese Selection: Aged-Irish Cheddar, Dubliner and Ivernia Cheese with Apple Chutney and Brown Bread - We ordered this for Mr. Jennifer as he really loves cheese. He said it was almost too much cheese and asked us to help him finish it. (He was not complaining, mind you!) The chutney was good.

Wellington, New Zealand:

Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil - Jennifer ordered this and although I did not taste it, she said it was Yummmy. She had it twice.


Lamb Slider with Tomato Chutney - We also ordered this at least twice. We may have ordered three. I think New Zealand was the only place we visited twice. I'm not sure why we did not revisit others but I can say, this was really really good. A moist patty with tomatos on a little bun. So good.

Athens, Greece:

Spanakopita - This was a very good spanakopita. I can't say that those I have tried have varied much from place to place, but this one was good.

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki - Again, very tasty.

Santiago, Chile:

Corn and Cheese Arepa - This was, essentially, a pancake with pepper jack cheese on top. Jennifer ordered it and generously shared it as my children and I hovered over her drooling.


Alfajores - The Festival Guide lists these as "Dulce de Leche Cookie" but the menu board at the booth called them by their authentic name. These were a rather basic version - two very thin shortbread cookies with a little dulce de leche in between, dusted with powdered sugar - but they were tasty.

And I did not quite realize before just how much we did get around to tasting!

2 comments:

Daddy Doc said...

I think being there during the F&W Festival made the visit both more fun but a bit distracting. We got to sample SO much good and different food that we didn't spend a lot of time wandering around the permanent exhibits for the countries. It was a wonderful chance to just get a bunch of different tastes, and they all added up to a decent amount of food. However, I couldn't tell you what was in the Germany Pavillion stores (or many others), and it wasn't until the last day that PerkyMommy found out that she could have had a big side of kraut for $1 in Germany. There was just so many other things to try, though, that we just didn't get to it on this trip. Going to EPCOT during the non-Festival period would afford us more time to visit the permanent exhibits, but I think we made the most of the opportunity to enjoy the Festival.

Cathy said...

Did you guys ever get to do a Kim Possible Adventure? One thing that I REALLY like them for (aside from being fun) is that they get you to look at parts of the pavillion that you maybe wouldn't have.