Monday, July 4, 2011

Perky Mom Needs Help

I have some posts in mind to make... we've been going places.

But coming up this summer, I will need places to go.

You see, Daddy Doc is taking Mr. Genius to summer camp for a week and leaving me to keep "the littles" occupied. We had thought to eat our way through a certain community/state/metropolitan area to the east, but they start their school year the same time we need entertainment. Bad planning.

I want to go eat my way through summer camp. I want to find fun, different places to try. Ideally they would not be major fast food chains. (Although I am very seriously wondering how sick and twisted would it be to make a really short road trip to a Cracker Barrel? I think it's been 2 years since I have had Cracker Barrel. Is anyone interested in hitting a CB with me if I was just that insane? E-mail me if you are interested. I am still considering the idea...)

Cracker Barrel aside, please send in your suggestions? Moderately priced, preferred. Keep in mind, I will have two elementary aged children with me. Two well behaved children, to be sure, but nothing too "adult". I do not want everyone else in the place giving me the stink eye. I can handle it but I prefer to not have to return the stink eyes for suspecting I would even be one of THOSE parents bringing children who would misbehave to a restaurant beyond their abilities.

The northern boundry of consideration is Solvang. The southern boundry of consideration is San Diego. (Edited to clarify: The original version of this post said "San Diego Border". San Diego works. I was debating saying "San Diego" or "Mexican Border" and ended up with San Diego border. What the hey?) Eastern? Well, I would rather not go all the way to Palm Springs. Except of course, if we were to drive past Palm Springs on the way to Cracker Barrel. (Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.)

So. Please give me feedback. Given the boundries described, what food experiences would you suggest for a Mommy and two somewhat adventurous eaters?

4 comments:

Lani Teshima said...

Our absolute BEST tool for finding new places to eat has been Yelp. Better yet, Yelp has a pretty reasonable iOS app so you can look them up on your iPhone.

You can find towns that seem to be of interest, and then look up restaurants for those places in Yelp. You can filter by budget, and list by order of rating. The reviews are all by regular people and not food critics, and it's a fantastic way to find out about locally owned non-chain eateries. We've been very pleased with some of the finds.

Perky Mommy said...

Ahh, but one would need an iPhone to use an app on an iPhone. DaddyDoc is the only iPhone owner in our home and he will have it at Summer Camp.

Los Angeles is a pretty big place so I was hoping some readers would have some personal suggestions to throw into the circle but thanks for the Yelp tips.

Sherry said...

If you want to have them try Filipino food, there are a lot of places in West Covina. Goldilocks is the biggest chain, but I like to bring my friends to Salo-Salo. Filipinos love having kids around, so any of the places you find would be great for them. Manila Sunset is closer to you, in Rancho Cucamonga, but West Covina has a whole plaza that has an entrance called Little Manila, so you can also get stuff from Valerio's Bakery while you're there.

Oh, and I would TOTALLY go with you if our schedules gelled. :)

You could also go to Little Tokyo (J-Town) in Downtown L.A. and have Shabu-Shabu. Or go to Chinatown in L.A., or if you don't want to go Downtown, Arcadia has a lot of good places for authentic Chinese food, too. A really good one is Hop-Li on Baldwin Ave.

Perky Mommy said...

LOVE the idea of going to Filipino food. LOVE the idea of you coming with us even more. I will MAKE the schedules gell!!