Friday, August 1, 2008

Brief Update

I have to be up very early in the morning so this will be brief. That's the thing about conventions - even before they start there's lots of GOING and not a lot of time for anything else!

This morning I woke up just about anxiety free, even before we went shopping. I was pretty calm. Yeah, me! We got in line to register about an hour early. We chatted and met up with other people we know. When we got in, we shopped what we could but the check out line for merchandise at "Marketplace" was LONG. I gave my bag of goodies to my friend who gave me her ID number, password and credit card and marked her order in the catalog.

I then went outside the shopping room to some tables to try to get on the internet. Our Marketplace has in person only items and online only items but neither were available to us until 8 am. I logged in to do my online shopping (more on the wifi later,) then logged out and logged in with my friend's 411 to place her order. 

Lesson #1: MacBooks seem to have better wifi capability than windoze computers. While I was online with a rather strong signal ("full bars") many of the windoze users around me were getting bumped off. Later tonight another friend reported that she had to use another person's MacBook because sitting in the exact location, her friend could get a signal but she could not.

Lesson #2: Not all hotels are created equally.

I'm online using a 3-day pass for the City of Minneapolis's city-wide wifi system. I could've paid $10 a day for Hyatt service or $13 for 3 days of City Service. Golly Gee Shucks, TOUGH CHOICE, right?

Well here at the Hyatt and at the CC, I have no trouble getting on from one of several choices in the system. In friend's room at another hotel, I could not get on at ALL - and that hotel is just across the street from mine! 

Lesson #3: Mall of America: Been there, Done that.

Saw the rollercoaster and log ride and others. Hmm, Ok, yeah, they're there. The roller coaster looked rather sluggish and lame. It has a really long train but the coaster just isn't big enough for the kind of drops and hills that would give momentum to such a long train. It looked REALLLLLY tame to me.

Didn't see a lot of stuff I couldn't live without. Saw an Apple Store, took a picture. Saw 4-5 stores alllll about Minnesota featuring Gifts from or about Minnesota. Wow. Used public rail to get to and from the mall but coming home the train was PACKED because people were going to the Twins game.

Lesson #4: Before ordering adult beverages, read the price tags more carefully. The raspberry mojito was good but damn expensive. Also had: Flatbread with white bean paste, art hearts, caramelized onions, cheese, parm, red peppers, other stuff maybe - really good. Had Phyllo puffs with feta, apricots, proscuitto or however it's spelled but I'm really tired and it might have been pancetta but it was good either way, and cranberry jalapeno sauce. Tasty dinner.

Lesson #5: Sometimes ditching meetings is GOOD. I was invited to a training tonight but based on some comments made last year (like, don't come back to this next year, we expect you to promote and go to the leader banquet,) I really didn't want to go. I was worried I might miss an opportunity for an incentive by not going. Yeah, turns out I didn't and based on the person I talked to who went, they said what I expected them to say.

Lesson #5: Sometimes people learn lessons: Last year the exhibitors had little for sale and very few things to pass out. I guess we missed some freebies at the exhibits this year. Oops.

Lesson #6: Squeaky Wheel Might get noticed. I reintroduced myself to someone for the third time involved in our software development. EVERY YEAR I say "I'm happy to help beta test for my unique perspective: here's what I can offer you." Every time, she doesn't follow up. I gave her yet another business card and this time she wrote "Mac Beta Tester" on the back of it. MAYBE this time. Maybe! I'll e-mail to follow up because you just never know! 

Tomorrow will be a very long day but I will probably have fun.

No comments: