But way back when we went camping in Vail Lake, one of the things I loved so much was food in the village. Very Good Friend brought her dips and I brought mine. Everyone just pulled the food out of our trailers and put them on tables for everyone to share. Saturday morning, Mr. VGF made bacon and pancakes and started feeding children when I was barely awake. So I just made a big skillet of scrambled eggs and brought them out to share.
We had our Saturday night dinner planned out.
(Ahem, with apologies to Laura Numeroff...)
If anyone spends any decent amount of time camping with Scouts, they quickly find themselves eating out of someone's Dutch oven at some point.
If you feed a family out of a Dutch oven, they're going to want to buy a Dutch oven themselves. So the family will go out and buy one.
If they buy a Dutch oven, they're going to want to cook in it the next time everyone camps together. The more recipes they try, the more they will want to cook. So everyone will have to bring their Dutch ovens so the village can cook as many dishes as possible in the Dutch Ovens.
Sort of. Because in this village, we also have access to cool portable grills, too.
And so after the taco dinner with Dutch oven lazy cobbler on Friday night, we had grilled tri-tip from one family, vegetables from another, a salad from another and so many months (and so few pictures) later, I can't remember what all we had but I remember that...
I made the very famous very complicated cheesy potatoes (whose main ingredient is hash browns) in our Dutch oven.
And for dessert, one of the Village people joined us with a giant glorious flan and freshly made whipped cream. And s'mores.
We were serenaded by two Cub Scouts who had a cute little song from one of their Scout camps that they wanted to share with us. Even though one of the scouts is notoriously shy about standing up in public.
And there was Herbie... the family pet. And he was THIS BIG, he was THIS BIG.
And that's the power of the Village.



No comments:
Post a Comment