Saturday, May 2, 2009

Progress Not Perfection

Recently, I faced a bit of a challenge. I had to take on "da man" (or rather, in this case, it was "da woman".) Ooooh, it was a strange combination of anger and fear. I was really angry and needed to fight and advocate for my cause, but golly, I was scared. I was afraid of not being able to do it the "right way." I was afraid I would not know what to say or I would know but not have the courage to say it.

Guess what? The fears came to reality!! I had rehearsed it in my head. "If she says this then that is my opening to say THAT." No big surprise, she said "this" and I sat there in silence thinking "What a ..." well, nevermind what I was thinking. The point is, I came home still angry, with only a small portion of my goals achieved and mad at myself for missing the chance to say the things I should have said.

Somewhere along the line, someone told me that it was OK because just the fact that I made a really good effort counted.

And for whatever reason, because I have probably been told this before, I heard it this time. 

You mean... I don't have to be perfect???

Let's face it, I am not-perfect quite a bit of the time. But I accept it not quite as often.

I don't know if my plans for this year's Mother's Day gifts are "perfect" but I am pretty darn tickled. They might be far from perfect. I know that they're not the greatest gifts I've ever given, I can tell you that right now. The problem for me is that I really want to find good gifts. 

I cannot just walk into a store and find a gift. I can't just buy someone a bath set because what if she does not take baths? What if I buy a scent she can't stand? I can't buy someone food because what if I've forgotten a food allergy or aversion? I struggle to find the PERFECT gifts to the point that I often stand before important people in my life, empty handed. 

Please don't ask my very dear friends whose birthdays were in April what I gave them. I mean, we're talking about a woman who was in a labor and delivery room with me in 2001 for 20 hours and have I gotten the woman a gift? Nooooooooooooo. I should know the PERFECT gift and I've got... yeah, so.

Well Mother's Day is next weekend and my Valentine's gifts got delivered sometime in March so I figured I can't be late for this occasion.

The gifts are not perfect. 

But.

I do believe that they are cute and thoughtful. Tonight I went shopping for the nuts and bolts of the gifts - the hardware if you will. This week I will be shopping for and even... creating the "software" of the gifts. Next weekend the gifts will all be assembled and distributed, but not before I take a few photos and report back here.

It won't be perfect but I am glad that I was able to come up with something creative and with a touch of "homemade." 

No comments: