Monday, October 20, 2008

Chains and Franchises

I live in a "modern suburb." By this I mean that I live in a city that is not young but that has experienced a population explosion over the past 20 years. There is a freeway now that was a much smaller "highway through town" 20 years ago. Most of the homes and neighborhoods were not built 20 years ago. There are still new homes being built. And most of the shopping centers and businesses that are here now, were merely undeveloped land, vacant lots or rock quarries 20 years ago.

I contrast that to the community in which I was raised. Yes, when we moved there, it was around the same time of development that my community is in. It had exploded within the decade that my family moved there, too. I "watched" businesses build as I grew up.

But this was, cough, more than 20 years ago. So while there were building businesses, they were not chains and franchises. The Mexican restaurant in my parents' town is busy and does terrific business - but it is a family owned business, not a chain. The best deli in town isn't Panera or Subway, but it's owned by a large family in the next town over. When I visit, I see the same faces behind the counter, although a bit grayer and with a few more wrinkles, that were working behind the counter when I was a child. And they still make the best torpedo and pastrami sandwiches ever. I craved those torpedos regularly at 12:30 am with each of my pregnancies.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again... within 10 minutes of my mom's house are three or four Trader Joe's and two gourmet markets. Within a 10 minute drive of my home are four Le Tarjays. 

My community is filled with chain restaurants and franchises. Le Sigh. 

Ok, that's not totally fair. My city also has a family owned Mexican restaurant but they now have three locations and a spin-off chain so even our smaller businesses have either closed or turned into chains or franchises and that is why they are still here.

So here is my review of a lovely lunch I just had today because if chains and franchises are a Perky Mommy's reality, I may as well enjoy it as best as I can.

Mr. Genius is staying with his grandmother and Auntie Doc for a few days so I have the two little boys at home. I wanted to do something nicer for lunch today than mere PB&J and SweetButSneaky requested Mimi's Cafe. At first I wanted to try the Crispy Honey Chicken for $4.99 for a limited time only at Pick-Up Stix but then I realized: Mimi's with two kids will fit into my budget easier today than Mimi's with three kids will later in the week. I can always hit Pick-Up Stix when MG comes home.

And so we went to Mimi's and I'm glad we did because there were some pleasant surprises and new items in store for us today.

If anyone ever has an occasion to take a child to dine at Mimi's, there are some hints you need to know. About a year ago or so, a Mimi's server let us in on how Mimi's children's menu works. Mr. Genius has one of those 'growing boy on the border of adult-menu" appetites. Sometimes he needs more food but wants to order off the children's menu. Sometimes it's just cheaper to order off the children's menu. Sometimes what he wants is on the adult menu.

On this day, he wanted pancakes but we wanted him to also have some protein to go with them. He also knew that the portion of pancakes would not be enough food to fill him. We ordered pancakes and asked if we could add a scrambled egg and bacon on the side. That's when the server clued us in: If a child orders off the children's menu, he can order as much as he wants, all for the price of one kid's meal. Now, this does not mean "All You Care To Eat for Five Bucks." The meal has to be ordered at the same time. If he gets hungry after he finishes his order and wants to order more food later, there will be an additional charge. But, for example, if he wants to order pancakes AND eggs, bacon and fruit, which are two separate children's menu items, he can order all of that food and it will count as one children's meal. Very handy, no?

This is the example that we most often would use. Pancakes and fruit is a carbohydrate-sugar busting overload meal for my kids. A little sausage on the side or eggs or bacon or a combination thereof, is the perfect compliment to a syrup covered plate of pancakes. And to be sure, my kids know which restaurants serve breakfast off the children's menu beyond breakfast hours.

SBS ordered a cheeseburger with fruit, which is his standard order. Captain Stubborn wanted pancakes and so I turned on my perkiest Perky Mommy voice and said "Would you like some egg with that, too?" He agreed! Yeah. Phew. I'm glad he agreed so easily because it wasn't really an option. He was getting egg or sausage or something protein-like before that syrup went on the pancakes. I was prepared to have to leave SBS at the table and escort a temper throwing 4-year-old out the front door if I had to, (which would have been a big pain in the tush because we were, of course, seated in the back of the dining room that is furthest from the front door, but I would have done it if I had to. I don't do tantrums over food.) The saints were watching out for me and he cooperated. Yeah!!

The entire reason for this post is to get out the word about the menu items that I ordered today. I do not have any idea how long they have been on the menu, but I suspect they're newer based on the comments from the manager and our waitress today. 

For lunch I had the "Greek Chicken Bowl." The menu, very unfortunately, says that this is only available until 4 pm. It was really good. There was a Greek salad in one half of the bowl and then a mixture of chicken, grilled red onions (yum) and zucchini in the other half of the bowl. The salad was a tad over-dressed, so I'd ask for the dressing on the side in the future, but the flavors were fantabulous. The portion size was very good but definitely on the small side. I could have added a cup of soup and had room for it, but it was better choice not to and just be healthier. Mimi's has moved away from the Petite Salad with Soup option and now their salads are all the smaller size and you can either add a cup of soup to your order or upsize your salad for $2 more.

There was another reason that I did not order a cup of soup... A reason which we won't tell my doctor, OK? Mimi's Fabulous Desserts just got a little fabulouser.

For years I have had a soft spot in my heart for the Mimi's Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce. My husband has been known to go on a "just dessert run", extra Whiskey Sauce, please. Yum. Yum.

Now Mimi's offers "Petite Treats" for dessert, including a Petite Bread Pudding option. Oh, my!

It was really good. Yes, it was. The Greek Chicken Bowl was small enough to leave just enough room for it, too.

On our way out after lunch, I mentioned to the manager that the new desserts were dangerously genius and she agreed. I also gushed on the Greek Bowl and she also agreed about that one. I told her that I was going to tell my friends about it and now, I have.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, this trip is too short to fit one more thing in but hmmmmm that sounds yum! I will say we had lunch at Applebees recently and found they offered a terrific 'little dessert' called a brownie bite..a small three bite piece of brownie and single scoop of ice cream...for $1.49, perfect!

Cindy said...

I have a couple of standard things that I order at Mimi's but that Greek salad does sound good. Actually, I do like the soup and salad combo a lot, so maybe I'll just order this salad with my regular soup instead.

I do usually order dressing on the side pretty much everywhere I go since I don't like my salads drenched, so that'll work.

Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Chilis also has some 'dessert shots' that are good for a small dessert. (Or they did the last time I went in.)